Monday, July 9, 2012

Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed the way you moved me. The way that no matter the time of day I could find you in the littlest of things. A random rhythm in nature, a melody on the radio, the way there didn't need to be sound for you to creep up in my mind.
Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed the way you held me. When no one else seemed strong enough to protect me while I crashed down, when no one else seemed gentle enough to keep me from cracking. You always had the right type of nurture, the right tone to fix what was breaking inside me. You always had the perfect way of helping me shine in my brightest moments.
Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed the way you let me express myself. There was never any set pattern with you. You let me be spontaneous, you let me plan every move down to the second, you let me ignore you for days and then let me use you for hours with out ever getting moody.
Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed the way you were always there. Through ups and downs you never let me down. Sorrows came, and for years there were many, and at 2 am I could rely on you to make it better. Happiness happened and you were always there for me in my kitchen, my room, in the hallways.
Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed the way you encouraged me. The way that you told me to try one more time, even after seventeen. I'd be covered in bruises and sweat and tears and you always had an encouraging word that would make me want to try again. You always saw more in me than I ever did in myself. I've missed that more than anything.
Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed the way you kept me. You kept me sane, you kept me fit and you kept me happy. You taught me how to control myself, how to keep myself and once I learned I let you go, in ways I never meant to. I got so busy, keeping myself, you slipped away unnoticed. And then today I heard that song, that melody, that silence, and I thought of the ways you've changed me, the ways I've missed you and I guess I just couldn't hide it.
I've missed you because you made me better, I'm jealous of those who still have you in their lives. You helped me create bonds with people I will forever have, you helped me be a better person, and I left you, ungratefully.
Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed the Saturday ballet classes, the early morning rehearsals, the leotards, the shoes, the costumes, even the intoxicating hairspray. I miss the way you consumed my time, but you made me value everything more because of it. I have missed the way you taught me to move, from pointing my toes to the splits and leaps and turns. The way I was never going to be good enough for you but I was always going to be good.
Oh of all the thing's I have missed, I have missed dance more than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment