Wednesday, August 24, 2011

For A Lifetime

So when we look back on the times we shared
We can smile and say,
"I was at my best when I was with those people."

This will be cheesy. If I didn't write it I would probably get nauseous reading it. But I did, so I wont.
I believe in the power of sisterhood. I am in the social sorority Kappa Alpha Theta. We are coming up on your recruitment weekend (next week! Wish us luck!) so we have been spending ungodly amounts of time together. At my school you can't live in the house until your junior year, so building the bonds with your older sisters is hard. When I joined in September or my freshman year I wasn't sure this was what I wanted. I was always too nervous to go to the house, all my really good friends weren't in Greek life at all, and not to mention it was a bit pricey for a freshman with no job. I went through first semester not going to anything unless it was mandatory, and considered dropping in December. I have never been so happy in my life because of something I didn't follow through with. We returned August 15, a week before school started for polish week, and right away it was sisterhood activities, dinners, lunches together, and really late nights with my pledge class telling stories, playing games, and laughing. It took a year but I was finally clicking with everyone. I found my self after only two days confining in my sisters and I would keep catching myself wishing I was at the house. Two nights ago at practice one of our advisory board members gave a presentation about being a Theta for a Lifetime and what that really meant. I sat there with two of my friends making jokes and laughing, but her stories moved me. The pictures of their reunions, the tough and fun times they went through. I never understood how much joining this chapter would effect my college years, let alone my life. Upon returning to my dorm I tried to tell a few friends about it and how special it was to me. But I realized that my love for Theta, and how I saw how special it truly is isn't something they would care about, it is something only my theta sisters could understand.

My university has 5 amazing chapters. I truly believe that there is a chapter that is a perfect fit for every girl, even if you don't see it at first. Theta was mine for me. My best friend is in a community service fraternity, most of my friends aren't in Greek life, but I have some truly amazing friends that are. So as our recruitment shirts say this year. Be strong. Be unique. Be united. Be Greek.

No comments:

Post a Comment