Thursday, March 22, 2012

High School

I spent graduation night like many high schoolers do, drunk and with my best friends. And that was just the start to the best summer I've ever had, a summer that separated some of the best years of my life. I've written about high school before but I never really realized how amazing my high school experience was. No I didn't drink often, I didn't go to keggers or get in trouble often. But I went out, I did a lot of things I regretted and then didn't so much, I snuck out, and had fun with my friends. I never thought I was missing out on anything, and I know I wasn't, but when I entered college and all my new friends talked about all the times they drank with their friends, part of me felt like I missed out on something in high school.

But that wasn't fair to myself.

I was involved, I had a huge group of friends, I had opportunities to travel, and I had my priorities. To me drinking and partying was for college, not high school. We had fire pits, went to carnivals and movies, went on trips and basically did what others did drunk, we were just sober. I loved high school, I loved every opportunity I got whether it was to go somewhere, to perform in front of over a thousand people, indulge in football and basketball and tailgating or just sit outside and watch a meteor shower on the roof during a bonfire. I think I've always reduced my love for high school as a way to make it easier to move on but there was no reason I needed too, I can still have those friends and do those things but only a few months out of the year.

I always knew there was a reason I was going to be a high school teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment