Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lighting The Grey

"So I don't know what we are doing, if this is the real deal or just some game. It is the biggest in between I've ever had but all I know is I don't go more than five minutes without thinking about you, and I mention your name in every conversation. Your smile could literally knock me off my feet, and when you hug me the way my heart sinks to my stomach is indescribable. All I know is those things aren't a grey area, all I know is I'd give anything for this to be the real deal."

In today's society where commitment is a word only uttered when you are drunk and trying to get some ass, the term "talking to" has become the new "dating" but with less promises.  You can talk to someone and still go on dates and hook up with other people, all while having your "talking" buddy. When did our generation avoid relationships. When did sex become fucking with no strings attached. The above quote is from one of my guy friends talking about a girl he is in this situation with. And with all of this we get stuck in this rut. Where we don't know what we are allowed to do and what we aren't, and we emotionally invest ourselves into something that was never meant to be more than a fling, and we run away from others that could've worked. In the most literal sense, love becomes a game. It is almost like Sorry, you have to have luck to even get out the door, then you have to worry about people just trying to take you back to home and there are the others that skip over you. But once you are finally safe, you are alone. Life in college today is a mixture of drunken one night stands and booty calls and on occasion a relationship, so how do you take the booty call or the guy you are "talking to" and leave the grey area and become more than that with out scaring them off with the word commitment. Our generation is losing seriousness, and unless this is going to result in a recreation of Woodstock (which would be great), then we need to rediscover that sex is important and special, that relationships are better than fuck buddies and that love doesn't start drunk in a bar. We need to get out of all the grey areas and start getting back into the light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment