Saturday, December 3, 2011

Like Crystal in a World of Glass

It has been a while since I have asked you guys a question, but I have one today, a big one. Now I'm going to voice my thought process and I don't want anyone to get upset or offended because I don't know what I'm talking about. I haven't and wont ever have had one of these experiences but I am experiencing the other. I need you guys to understand my perspective, just like I will try to understand yours. My question for you is if divorce affects children more than teenagers?
I have a friend whose parents got divorced when she was two and she always says that it had little to no impact on her. She has a very healthy relationship with her boyfriend of over a year and a good relationship with both parents. My argument, and again not trying to offend anyone because  I know divorce is a very situational family experience, is that it affects teenagers in a different, more scarring way.
I have been watching a relationship deteriorate for over 4 years, the marriage of my parents. There have been moments where I  truly believed, despite all the bad things in their relationship that have happened, they would still be together. Like last February when my father was in the hospital. But it doesn't work. My mom sleeps in a different room, and having my father tell me at dinner he just doesn't see this chapter of his life continuing after my sister graduates college and then I sat there and cried at Johnnys is a moment that could easily define my problems in relationships.
Love is suppose to be invincible, whether its Disney's fault or our parents, we all grow up believing that we will find that one person we love and live together and be happy. Love is suppose to win. As a child you don't fully understand marriage or all the bad things in the world, as a young adult you do and you have grown up to believe that it will all be okay as long as you have love. So when the love that was shared between the two people who brought you to life, the love that was used to make you and your siblings, that was suppose to last and not only be an example for you but for the family that we were told that you will make because of love, when that falls apart it hits you like when a rock hits a window. It shatters your heart. Because as young adults we know, that not everything works out, but that love is suppose to be the one thing that does.
And that is my argument. Because sometimes the break ups that break your heart the most aren't the ones from the relationship you were in but from the relationship that use to hold you together and taught you what love was.
Love was suppose to win. 

A heart is a fragile thing. That's why we protect them so vigorously, give them away so rarely, and why it means so much when we do. Some hearts are more fragile than others. Purer, somehow. Like crystal in a world of glass, even the way they shatter is beautiful.
-Everwood


No comments:

Post a Comment